Gen Y: Can You Answer These Business and Dining Etiquette Questions?July 07th, 2010
Recently I was contacted by a large, well-known corporation who is interested in having me conduct my Millennial Business Boot Camp for a group of their Millennial (aka: Gen Y) employees. Their main reason for contacting me was because they knew my boot camp includes a section on Business Etiquette, covering: Meeting etiquette; dining etiquette; communication etiquette, dress etiquette, and general manners etiquette.
The person who contacted me explained that they noticed most of their Millennial employees struggled with these “etiquette areas”. I’ve also conducted workshops, boot camps and seminars for other companies who expressed the same thing.
This is what prompted this very important blog topic. And, Millennials, don’t feel bad! I know generations at work of all of ages who also struggle with these etiquette principles! But the sooner you can get a grip on them, the better for you.
So, let’s get started…can you answer these 8 questions?
1. What is the proper time to arrive for an appointment?
2. Can you exchange business cards while dining?
3. How can you get more privacy in your cubicle (if you work in a cubicle environment)?
4. How much perfume/cologne is acceptable at work?
1. Is it considered rude to take a sip of your drink while you’re still chewing?
2. After the completion of a formal dinner, where do you place your utensils?
3. How should you fold a large napkin before placing it on your lap?
4. What direction should food be passed at a dining table?
As you can see, there are a lot of things you need to be aware of in the world of etiquette. And, remember, having good manners all reflects on YOU and your personal brand at work (and outside of work). So take some time to learn proper etiquette…your boss, co-workers, clients and potential clients, will be impressed!
Bye for now!
Leave a Reply